Monday, July 24, 2017

Eclipse Information August 21, 2017

Howard Russell Baker painting of 1918 eclipse 


When it comes to eclipses, I don't think there is anything with as many inside stats outside of major league baseball.   Seriously, a trip to the world wide web on the topic of eclipses can overwhelm a mortal pretty fast.   And I have been tripped up myself.     I have been talking a lot about the current eclipse being the first since 1776.    I want to be clear--I mean since the inception of the country.   From Wiki:  


The August 2017 eclipse will be the first with a path of totality crossing the US's Pacific coast and Atlantic coast since 1918. Also, its path of totality makes landfall exclusively within the United States, making it the first such eclipse since the country's independence in 1776. (The path of totality of the eclipse of June 13, 1257, was the last to make landfall exclusively on lands currently part of the US.[10])


Here are some great articles on Eclipse of August 21, 2017 and the history of earlier eclipses.    And  even the Washington Post had to update its article.   Like I said stats and eclipses overwhelming.  

But not matter how you cut it---it is a big deal and we're here to experience it.   Wow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment