Friday, March 8, 2013

"....I don't know what to do...."

Yesterday I was driving my son to school when I heard that a British guitarist had died.  I am not that savvy to musicians and music.  I mean I know some stuff but not what I consider a lot, especially given there are music lovers who know so much.
Anyway, the report went on that the guitarist was Alvin Lee who had been the guitarist for the group Ten Years After .  When I heard the name of the band I recalled knowing of it when I was a kid but was still unclear of the music and then they played what was Mr. Lee's signature song, "I'd Love To Change The World"   As soon as they played it I knew I heard it when I was young and I found myself gettng misty.    There was something so melancholy about the song.   And then later when I read the obituary I saw the lyrics and thought....oh, how perfectly Chiron and Neptune in Pisces.  

Mr. Lee’s more melodic side emerged in the band’s lone Top 40 hit, “I’d Love to Change the World” (1971), which captured the apathy of the post-counterculture era. The song’s memorably detached, complacent attitude was expressed in the lyric, “I’d love to change the world, but I don’t know what to do, so I’ll leave it up to you.”


No comments:

Post a Comment